Offline turnbased network ("play by mail")

Suggestions for gameplay, UI and more here.
Draxticore

Offline turnbased network ("play by mail")

Post by Draxticore »

Hi Telestians.com :)

I found this site, while looking for something similar to warlords 2, but offline turn-based via network.
I could set up a script to send warlords 2 savefiles to a server, and exchange them that way, the trouble being that you can only save a game on your or another players turn, thus seeing their map. Other than that I probably had to reverse engineer the game, and learn some windows assembly and hook in some "autosave before next human player" routines. So not plausible with the kind of time I have these days.
So, I have not been able to find much documentation on Telestians, however, the game is clearly inspired by warlords 2, which is great!
Networkwise, what I seem to be able to distill from various comments, the game do turnbased networking, but only when all players are online, correct? If yes, did you consider making a "play-by-mail" feature, not oldschool, but probably featuring a "save game server", that savegames (or increments) were sent to, to be downloaded by the next player, when it is convenient for him/her. Maybe the next player plays his round like it already is implemented, if his game is open, convenient for early stage fast rounds. And maybe the next player get an email otherwise, notifying them that it is their turn.
I hope this makes sense, and I do realize that this playstyle may not be for the masses, especially young people with short attention spans :)
It may not be worth your time to implement this!

Best regards,
Draxticore
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Offline turnbased network ("play by mail")

Post by Admin »

I think this is a great idea!

We're looking to launch a large update to game within the next 2-3 months, and after that, I would be open to discuss with you the best way to get this implemented.

Will get in touch with you soon.

Return to “Feature Requests”